The Israeli security establishment is concerned that Iran may seek to strike the state in the same manner as it did a Saudi Arabian oil facility last month, local media reported
Israeli officials and politicians have been more vocal in recent weeks regarding a serious and escalating security threat that has thus far gone unnamed.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, at the inauguration of the new Knesset last week, said, “We are facing a huge security challenge that has been growing from week to week, in the last two months and especially in recent weeks.”
“It’s not spin or a whim, anyone who knows the details knows how true they are,” Netanyahu added.
Netanyahu said Iran’s “boldness and impudence are growing” and directly referenced the attack on the Saudi oil facility.
Four motion against U.S.
The four motions that the Spokesman for the Iranian Parliament’s National Security Committee, Hossein Naghavi Hosseini said were approved at the committee today by the lawmakers were a reaction to the inhuman US sanctions and other anti-Iranain actions.
According to the senior lawmaker, the motions included countering US sanctions by replacing commodities and services, establishing the American Crimes Museum, requiring the government to pursue compensation for US human rights violations against Iranian nationals as well as requiring the government to incorporate lessons about American crimes in textbooks in Iranian school and universities.
Iran ready for next ‘phase’ at Arak reactor
Iran is set to launch the second phase of activities at the Arak heavy water nuclear reactor within three weeks, state news agency IRNA reported citing the head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization.
The official, Ali Akbar Salehi, said that “Iranian scientists could prepare the second phase during the past four years in a way that it will be launched in three weeks.”
Iran stopped complying in May with some commitments in the 2015 nuclear deal that was agreed with global powers, after the United States unilaterally withdrew from the accord in 2018 and re-introduced sanctions on Tehran.
‘Next EU Chief Borell ‘ Must Save the Deal’
During a parliamentary confirmation hearing to become the next EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell said Monday that “we have to keep this agreement alive in order to defend our interests, our security and avoid something worse.”
Borrell, who is currently foreign minister in Spain’s caretaker government and set to take over in Brussels from Federica Mogherini, says
“the political unity of the Europeans will be crucial” in keeping the agreement going.
The pact has been on life support since President Donald Trump pulled America out last year, triggering U.S. sanctions and Iranian threats to abandon it.